Rural Health System Analysis and Technical Assistance
Understanding and Facilitating Rural Health Transformation
Vision: To build and distribute an actionable knowledge base through research, practice, and collaboration that helps create high performance rural health systems.
Dramatic changes are underway in health care delivery and finance. The changing landscape creates new opportunities to design and strengthen local systems of care in rural America. This project, funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy, utilizes the extensive analytic and technical assistance capacity of the RUPRI Center for Rural Health Policy Analysis and Stratis Health to understand how new health care delivery and financing systems affect rural communities and providers. The project will help rural providers transition to new approaches that support success in a rapidly changing environment. The project team has considerable experience and success analyzing the rural implications of changes in health services, providing input to shape U.S. rural health care delivery, and helping providers and communities transition to new health care paradigms while maintaining and strengthening essential local services.
Major Changes Affecting Rural Health Care
Four forces will influence rural health care delivery in the coming years: changes in payment policies and financing sources, continually evolving quality measures and expectations, evolving models of care to deliver services locally including from distant sources, and regional health care affiliations. We have designed three specific project aims that will help rural providers and policy makers better understand the implications of changes and emerging models and will assist rural providers to participate in national and local demonstrations and pilots. In doing so, we envision that the collective effort will contribute to transforming rural health care to a high performance system.
Rural Health Value Aims
1. Assess rural implications and facilitate rural adaptability to changes in health care delivery, organization, and finance.
- Monitor and assess rural implications of public and private policy
- Identify demonstration or pilot projects for in-depth research
- Develop models that analyze impacts of specific health care changes on rural people, places, and providers
- Identify policies that develop, enhance, and sustain high performance rural health care
2. Develop and test technical assistance tools and resources to enable rural providers and communities to take full advantage of public policy changes and private sector initiatives.
- Develop tools and resources for rural providers and places to increase awareness, conduct assessments, and plan and implement changes
- Provide technical assistance to specific rural communities and health care providers, utilizing the tools and resources
3. Inform further developments in public policy and private action through dissemination of findings.
- Use dissemination strategies proven successful by the RUPRI Center and Stratis Health
- Provide specific consultation services as requested
- Develop new dissemination approaches that assure timely and actionable information is provided to public policy makers, health sector stakeholders, and communities
|Click here to download a .pdf version of this document.|
Tell the Rural Health Value Team about your rural health care delivery or financing innovation!
Click here to Share Your Rural Innovation!