Center Members and Associate Members
EHSRC Member Details
Peter S. Thorne, PhD
Professor and Head, Occupational & Environmental Health
Phone: (319) 335-4216
EHSRC Role(s): Center Director; Director, Pulmonary Toxicology Facility; Co-Leader, Nanotoxicology Research Core; Member, Environmental Lung Disease Research Cluster; Member, Inflammation and Innate Immunity Research Cluster
Dr. Thorne is engaged in studies of environmental risk factors for asthma, inflammatory lung diseases, endotoxin- and glucan-induced immunomodulation, and novel methodology for exposure assessment and modelling. He is internationally recognized for his discoveries in the exacerbation of asthma associated with domestic and occupational exposures to bioaerosols, especially endotoxin. He teaches graduate level courses on environmental health, human toxicology, and research methods in biological agents. He serves on a variety of editorial and review boards for scientific journals, government agencies, and academic institutions. In addition to directing the EHSRC and the Pulmonary Toxicology Facility, Dr. Thorne is co-investigator on an EPA-funded study of "Impacts of Manufactured Nanomaterials on Human Health and the Environment". He is an investigator on a large number of grants and subcontracts with colleagues at the University of Iowa as well as USC, Columbia, National Jewish, UNC and Johns-Hopkins. He is also a co-investigator on the Iowa Superfund Basic Research Program under the direction of Dr. Larry Robertson. Dr. Thorne is the PI of a large epidemiology project on children's environmental health (Research Project 6), Leader of the Toxicology Core, and Leader of the Research Translation Core within the proposed Iowa superfund basic research program.
- Choi H, Byrne S, Larsen LS, Sigsgaard T, Thorne PS, Larsson L, Sebastian A, Bornehag CG. Residential culturable fungi, (1-3, 1-6)-beta-d-glucan, and ergosterol concentrations in dust are not associated with asthma, rhinitis, or eczema diagnoses in children. Indoor Air. 2013 Sep 10.
- Worthington KL, Adamcakova-Dodd A, Wongrakpanich A, Mudunkotuwa IA, Mapuskar KA, Joshi VB, Allan Guymon C, Spitz DR, Grassian VH, Thorne PS, Salem AK. Chitosan coating of copper nanoparticles reduces in vitro toxicity and increases inflammation in the lung. Nanotechnology. 2013 Oct 4;24(39):395101.
- Dhakal K, Adamcakova-Dodd A, Lehmler HJ, Thorne PS, Robertson LW. Sulfate conjugates are urinary markers of inhalation exposure to 4-chlorobiphenyl (PCB3). Chem Res Toxicol. 2013 Jun 17;26(6):853-5.
- Pavilonis BT, O'Shaughnessy PT, Altmaier R, Metwali N, Thorne PS. Passive monitors to measure hydrogen sulfide near concentrated animal feeding operations. Environ Sci Process Impacts. 2013 Jun;15(6):1271-8.
- Hu X, Lehmler HJ, Adamcakova-Dodd A, Thorne PS. Elimination of inhaled 3,3'-dichlorobiphenyl and the formation of the 4-hydroxylated metabolite. Environ Sci Technol. 2013 May 7;47(9):4743-51.
- Marek RF, Thorne PS, Wang K, Dewall J, Hornbuckle KC. PCBs and OH-PCBs in serum from children and mothers in urban and rural U.S. communities. Environ Sci Technol. 2013 Apr 2;47(7):3353-61.
- Pavilonis BT, Anthony TR, O'Shaughnessy PT, Humann MJ, Merchant JA, Moore G, Thorne PS, Weisel CP, Sanderson WT. Indoor and outdoor particulate matter and endotoxin concentrations in an intensely agricultural county. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2013 May-Jun;23(3):299-305.
- Wang J, Cozen W, Thorne PS, Berhane K, Cerhan JR, Hartge P, Ward MH, De Roos AJ, Severson RK, Morton LM, Bernstein L, Linet MS, Colt JS. Household endotoxin levels and the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Feb;24(2):357-64.
- King EM, Filep S, Smith B, Platts-Mills T, Hamilton RG, Schmechel D, Sordillo JE, Milton D, van Ree R, Krop EJ, Heederik DJ, Metwali N, Thorne PS, Zeldin DC, Sever ML, Calatroni A, Arbes SJ Jr, Mitchell HE, Chapman MD. A multi-center ring trial of allergen analysis using fluorescent multiplex array technology. J Immunol Methods. 2013 Jan 31;387(1-2):89-95.
- Kim JS, Peters TM, O'Shaughnessy PT, Adamcakova-Dodd A, Thorne PS. Validation of an in vitro exposure system for toxicity assessment of air-delivered nanomaterials. Toxicol In Vitro. 2013 Feb;27(1):164-73.
- Noss I, Doekes G, Thorne PS, Heederik DJ, Wouters IM. Comparison of the potency of a variety of beta-glucans to induce cytokine production in human whole blood. Innate Immun. 2013 Feb;19(1):10-9.